Thursday, August 10, 2006

Trust and Faith in God

I was recently asked to share with our Young Adults group on three separate nites in a months time. I gladly accepted and was telling a pastor friend of mine. He smiled and told me he felt I would be teaching a series. He told me it may not seem like a series, but in the end, I would look back and see a series. As it turns out, I seem to have taught on a series, faith. Here is the second installment...

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge him,
And he will make your paths straight.

2 Corinthians 3:4,5
Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.

Jeremiah 32:17, 26-27
"Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah: "I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?

1 Chronicles 29:10-13

David praised the LORD in the presence of the whole assembly, saying,
"Praise be to you, O LORD, God of our father Israel, From everlasting to everlasting. Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom; You are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from you; You are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.

Psalms 27:8
My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek.

Psalms 27:13-14

I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.


Psalms 91:1-2
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

Proverbs 20:24
A man's steps are directed by the LORD.
How then can anyone understand his own way?

Matthew 14:31
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

Lamentations 3:22-24
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

Psalms 37:1-7
Do not fret because of evil men
or be envious of those who do wrong;
for like the grass they will soon wither,
like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Psalms 42:5
Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and

Psalms 73:23-24
Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.

Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Psalms 50:15
and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you will honor me."

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Psalms 36:5-9
Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
your justice like the great deep.
O LORD, you preserve both man and beast.
How priceless is your unfailing love!
Both high and low among men
find [a] refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house;
you give them drink from your river of delights.
For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.

It's so easy to feel overwhelmed by life. When we consider our responsibilities in family, work, church and extended family or friendships, feelings of inadequacy and hopelessness can rise suddenly and envelop you like a thick fog.

Yet you can keep from being overwhelmed by focusing on the sufficiency of Christ. He is alive today, and He stands ready to guide you along the way.

There's a great poem that says:

Lord, I crawled across the barrenness to You with my empty cup
Uncertain of asking for any small drop of refreshment
If only I would have known You better,
I would have come running with a bucket.

God wants us to know Him and to receive His blessings and to live a life of peace, purpose and forgiveness. The Bible contains many wonderful principles and truths, but these principles will be only stale words and doctrine to you unless you allow the person of Jesus Christ to be at the center of your life. As A. W. Tozer states, "The most important thing about you is what you think about God."

No matter how inadequate you feel in helping those you care about, God is completely able to do what appears impossible. His power is most evident when we are weakest. As Paul says in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

No comments: