Tuesday, April 24, 2018

What is ‘enough’?


In this world of “gotta have it all”, it is easy to never get to a point where we feel like what we have and where we are in life is enough for that moment. The feeling of having enough, can only come from God. As I have written before, God has promised us over and over again, “Do your best, and I will take care of the rest.” Keep in mind that is the BLT version of the Bible. Brian‘s loose translation.

Understanding these basic principles, will change our ‘want’ list and our ‘need’ list. The apostle Paul said: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). Do all things? Could he fly like Superman or climb walls like Spiderman? No, but everything he did do, whether by choice or circumstance, Paul knew he could do it because he was doing it God’s way. It didn’t matter if he was hungry or full, in prison or free; he knew, because he was doing what he could, that God was there with him helping him through that moment with what he did have. He always had enough.

Did he have that brand new 40 B.C. custom four horse drawn chariot to get around? No, but he did have two good feet and a reliable pair of sandals. Did he have the best neighbors, or friends, or a perfect spouse? No. He didn’t even have a house to have neighbors, unless you count the guys in the next jail cell at many points in his journey. Through his life, Paul wrote 13 books of the New Testament. I am certain, many people of his time would have looked at him and considered him poor and wanting even for the basic “necessities”. I am also certain, God gave him everything he truly needed.

Enough is truly a measure of perspective. I have two children here, and two in heaven. I grew up in a small family all the while envying larger ones. I always said I wanted 8 or 10 or more children. Do I have enough? Absolutely. My wife and I have all the major appliances one might need. Do they all match? No. Are they still enough? Absolutely. Do I have vacations to Hawaii or Disney World? No. Our most cherished family vacations have been to places like a little town nobody has heard of on Michigan beach. I am spoiled by God almighty.

The contented person is never poor; the discontented is never rich. 

Stop and look at your life… Do you have enough?

No comments: